Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How I learned about Pilates

I found out about Pilates in 1997.  At the time, my dad just injured his back and was feeling the first signs of arthritis.   While visiting a family friend, we learned what Pilates was.  The friend was a Pilates Instructor and had just opened a studio in Cleveland.  He told my dad he needed to do Pilates. At that time, we had no idea what it was. Soon after that, my dad and I visited the studio and after my dad's first reformer workout was pain free. He realized that he needed to do Pilates. This was in 1998 and at that time there was not a Pilates studio in Columbus, Ohio. My dad started doing Pilates mat work at home.  Sometime after the visit to the Pilates studio, my dad bought a used reformer.  As my dad was working out on the reformer, he would show me some of the exercises.  During this time I was a senior in high school and ran track. I suffered from shin splits and was not allow to lift weights with my lower body.  When I first was trying the reformer workout, I was nervous about doing the leg work. I thought it would hurt my shins.  But I was surprised; there was no pain or discomfort in my legs. I really enjoyed the stretching I could do on the reformer.  I never have been a very flexible girl. I loved it right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment